13.3.20

Week 9 Story: Self-Taught

Self-Taught


I grew up in a tribe of people called the Nishada. We lived in the forest and most of the tribe was made up of hunters or fishermen. Our hunters were well known for their skill with the bow, and that was no different for my father. He was probably the best with the bow in our tribe, and supposedly I would grow up to be a great archer like him. Even though we were highly skilled, there are things you can not hunt. We occasionally had to trade with those in the city for supplies, as I got older I slowly realized how others treated us on these trading trips. It was clear that many others, like those of the noble-caste, considered us lesser. We were considered low-caste. I grew up fairly normally, but my daily life changed when I witnessed something truly amazing. A man, who I later learned was called Drona, was able to retrieve a ring from a well using a bow and arrow. I wanted to learn from this man. This man decided to set up a class to teach archery, but I learned that I would not be allowed to participate as the class was for noble children. I decided then and there that I would learn archery with this man as my mentor, even if he himself would not teach me. In the forest we call home I was able to create a statue of the man to watch over me as I train my archery. Anytime I felt stuck in my training I could look at the statue and be reminded that my mentor was always watching over me. 

↞↞↞↞↞↞↠↠↠↠↠↠

Years of training came with rewards, I eventually was the best archer of my tribe. I never neglected my training for a single day. Eventually, these skills with the bow were seen by those outside the tribe. I went on a trading trip with my sister, but we were attacked. Someone had left their dog out without any guidance, and this dog sought to attack my sister. The dog charged and barked repeatedly at us, and during one of these barks, I saw my chance. In the small frame of time that it opened it's mouth to bark I shot seven arrows into the mouth of that dog. My skills with the bow were seen as excellent by all those present, but that did not change how I was viewed in the caste system. I was someone from a lower-caste, and as such I could not destroy the property of those in the upper-castes. This dog turned out to be just this kind of situation. I had at the time of the event had decided to tell those present that the man Drona was my mentor. Eventually, words of the crimes of one of his pupils reached the ears of Drona. I had to show up at a trial for my crimes.

"So I am your mentor, correct?" I snapped around and saw that the man I saw as a guru had shown up at my trial.

"I consider you my mentor." I may have been surprised by his arrival, but I still saw this man as my mentor and a mentor deserves respect. 

"Then I would like to collect my teaching fee," stated Drona calmly.

"I will gladly pay your teaching fee then sir."

"My teaching fee will be your right thumb."

I knew what this meant for my future. I would no longer be able to draw a bow, but I also knew this was his way to punish me. He sought to take my skills from me to prevent shame from being put on his name. I knew that I had gotten myself into this mess, and I would always listen to my mentor. I drew my knife and in one motion took off my right thumb. After resheathing my knife I picked up the thumb and handed it to him. Since there was nothing left for me here I returned to my tribe in the forest. 

Image result for ekalavya

Author's Note: I decided to write the story of Ekalavya from a first-person perspective. I have the key story points to hit, but the Mahabharata version I read this week left a lot of room for creative liberty.

Nivedita Mahabharata.


5 comments:

  1. Hi Travis! I really enjoyed this story. I remember Drona from the Mahabharata and thinking his character was super interesting even though since he was the Pandava's mentor and eventual enemy. I like that this story offered us another look into how ruthless and unforgiving Drona can be through the eyes of another former student. It foreshadows his character in the Mahabharata and lines up with the cruelty he shows later in the story. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Travis,

    I love this new perspective on the story. Your organization, formatting and grammar flows almost perfectly and makes everything much easier to read and enjoy. In regards to the story itself, I think Ekalavya is the real mentor/hero here. He's so loyal... a little TOO loyal to say the least. To give up a hobby that you've trained your whole life for, to be just like your role model... only to willingly give it up FOR your role model at his request? Now THAT'S devotion. And cruelty by the mentor...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Travis,
    Very well written story! In your introduction, you said you like to read and it really shows here. The flow and language of your story is pretty impeccable and makes for a very delightful read. I think it is a pretty depressing story as one mistake cost him the thing he has been working his entire life for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Travis,
    I really enjoyed your story. Ekalavya was a character that had interested me as well. I like how you wrote from his perspective. I feel like the original epic did not do his character justice, but you definitely did. I like the way you wrote the emotion of Ekalavya when he knew what the consequences were of cutting his own thumb would be. Obviously that would be a hard decision to make, but he knew he must do it as his mentor was telling him to. I really enjoyed this and hope to read some more of you work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Travis! I think writing from the first person is such a unique for the author to get into the mind fo the characters and maybe see things from their perspectives! I did not read the story about Ekalavya so I was happy to read your version of the story and learn something new! I think it's so interesting that the caste system was so prominent in that time period and determined so much of an individual's life. I know the caste system in India is still prominent today but they are not as severe as this.

    ReplyDelete

Week 14 EC Microfiction

The Goblin Platoon Author Note: I decided that I wanted to write a story about goblins. I wanted to create a story where goblins are a ...