15.1.20

Storybook Favorites

Three Storybooks I looked at: Creation Stories, Epic Twins, and Indra: The Thunder God


Creation Stories

The first storybook I looked at, was coincidentally, Creation Stories. I chose this one because I love seeing creation stories from other cultures around the world. I was unfamiliar with the creation story within Hindu mythology, and this story gives three examples of creation stories told by the three narrators the Tridevi. I like the idea of the three narrators as it clearly separates the three stories. The first story is told by Lakshmi and is the story of the golden egg, this is the true story of the creation. The egg cracks and one half creates the heavens, and the other half creates the Earth. The next is a retelling of Matsya Avatar, a great flood myth. Lastly is the retelling of The Churning of the Ocean, which describes a conflict between the Devas and the Asuras. I like this storybooks formatting a lot, and find the design to be appealing. 

Creation Stories: Creation Stories

Image result for tridevi

Image of the Tridevi, our narrators for our storybook. 


Epic Twins

The second storybook, Epic Twins, this storybook tells stories about the Ashwinis. These twin gods govern medicine and healing, and are apparently known for their mischief. The stories themselves are well-written, but the storybook design is fairly unappealing. The format of the storybooks are bland and there is no images to add visual appeal to the storybook. It does not help that the introduction does not give you much information on the stories ahead of time. It just doesn't feel like a storybook in my opinion.

Twin Gods of Mischief: Epic Twins



Indra: The Thunder God


Lastly I looked at the storybook Indra: The Thunder God. This storybook is more simplistic than the first story book, it does not use multiple narrators. It is a very classic storybook style to tell the story of Indra. The writing is well done and will keep you entertained. The introduction tells you everything that you could need to know about what you are getting ready to read. The only thing that this storybook did that I would change is that the images used at the bottom of the sections and put use them as a way of breaking up the format of the storybook and create some visual appeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 14 EC Microfiction

The Goblin Platoon Author Note: I decided that I wanted to write a story about goblins. I wanted to create a story where goblins are a ...