26.1.20

Topic Brainstorm

Topics

Kumbhakarna the giant by Amar Chitra Katha

Creation Stories

I chose this topic because I am always interested in how other cultures and religions try to explain how this world was created. This is also the topic I am probably most knowledgeable going into. I read the creation storybook that was posted on the class website, so I already know about some of the creation stories. I would be interested if there are any other hindu creation stories not mentioned in the storybook.

Supernatural Characters

I am a fan of supernatural characters in other cultures and the similarities in characters between cultures. In multiple cultures you see shape-shifting, man-eating characters. You see this in the skinwalker in Navajo culture and the goblins that we read about in the Jataka. I also had read the plot synopsis for two of the supernatural characters. The giant, Kumbhakarna, and the magician, Mahiravana. I would want to take some of these supernatural characters and write them as cryptids and write about their stories as a cryptid hunters' notes.

Gurus and Sages

Gurus and sages are the wisemen you see in many cultures. I want to see how the Indian epics take on the role of sages. I have no prior knowledge on the sages in Hindu culture, I chose this topic because it interests me. I have no prior knowledge so I am unsure how to tackle how I would retell this story topic. I would probably attempt to retell the story in modern day.

Reincarnation

Reincarnation is a very interesting topic, multiple religions have had the belief in reincarnation. I have already learned a bit about reincarnation in hindu mythology. I am not well versed in reincarnation within Indian epics. My current idea for retelling is to discuss reincarnation from a first-person perspective. 

Links:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 14 EC Microfiction

The Goblin Platoon Author Note: I decided that I wanted to write a story about goblins. I wanted to create a story where goblins are a ...