21.1.20

Week 2 Reading Overview

Reading Overview


I chosen to read the Public Domain Edition of the Ramayana. I chose this edition for two reasons, one is the price as well as the fact that it does not need to be shipped to me. The other reason for this edition is that I feel that each story being told by different author's can help created a varied understanding of the work.

Comics Chosen:



I chose these comics because the contents seemed the most interesting to me, Kumbhakarna is the giant brother of Ravana. I am interested in this cultures folklore depiction of giants. Giants are apart of many myths and folklore, but many times you see different depictions of the giants. Mahiravana is a magician and king of the netherworld. I felt this character could be one of the most interesting to learn about.

Videos Chosen:



The videos were easier to choose in my opinion, they had topics that are highly interesting. I am very interested in the symbols of divinity in other religions, I find it interesting how other cultures try to create symbols as a way of conveying a complex idea of their religion. Another interesting topic is ancient technologies and how ancient people accomplished difficult tasks with limited tools. I am interested in archeology, paleontology, and anthropology so learning about ancient religion and cultures are very interesting.



Kumbhakarna statue at the Bali Botanic Gardens

Representation of the giant from the comic I chose, gives us an idea of the size he was believed to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 14 EC Microfiction

The Goblin Platoon Author Note: I decided that I wanted to write a story about goblins. I wanted to create a story where goblins are a ...