27.4.20

Week 13 Storytelling: Kans and Devaki

Kans and Devaki


Whispers in the Mind

When a member of the family is to be married we hold a feast so all the family can meet their significant other. This tradition is old, but we have decided to keep it going. This is how we ended up at this point. I, as the current head of the family, had to host. We finally got to meet the bride to be, but for me, it was not a completely happy occasion. The first time I laid eyes on Devaki, the woman marrying into our family, I could hear a whisper coming from the back of my mind. This whisper felt like an itch at the back of my mind at first, but that feeling would not last for long. I pushed the sound away and continued to welcome the guests into my house. 

After a while we got the feast started and all of the family started celebrating. Every time I locked eyes with Devaki I could hear the whisper return, and every time it whispered it got louder. I tried to hide in the kitchen but after a while, Devaki came into the kitchen to check on me. Apparently, I was in the kitchen so long that some of the guests thought I might be sick, and she offered to check on me. 

That is when I finally was able to make out the whispers, "Her child will be the one to kill you." 

The whispers pressed in from the back of my mind, and at this point, the whispers were deafening. I could see Devaki speaking, but all I could hear were the whispers. The only thing I could say for certain at this point I that her child would be the one to kill me, and I could not let that happen. The moment my hands wrapped around her neck the whispers all stopped at once, but I did not kill her. Her husband stepped in before then. I had to make sure the whispers would not return so I decided that I would make sure their kids would not kill me.


dark mind | Beautiful dark art, Art, Dark photography



Author Note: In this story, I wanted to tell the story of how Kans was told that Devaki's eighth child would kill him. These kind of prophecies are normal within Indian epics, but I wanted to tell the story of receiving a prophecy as if it was a horror story.

2 comments:

  1. I am a huge horror fan and I loved how you rewrote this story in that way! I really enjoyed reading this and I really like the image you chose! I think it does a great job of portraying the idea of "prophecy" in a way that depicts horror!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Travis,
    I enjoyed the change up in the telling of this story where it was told by a first person perspective. Most of the stories from other blogs have been written in the third person. You did a great job of setting the scene, tone and being very specific. You definitely kept me on the edge of my seat from start to finish with this one.

    ReplyDelete

Week 14 EC Microfiction

The Goblin Platoon Author Note: I decided that I wanted to write a story about goblins. I wanted to create a story where goblins are a ...