6.2.20

Microfiction: Two Stories on Space

Two Stories on Space

Author's Note: I wanted to try to write the same story in two different microfiction formats. To make them noticeably different I went with the six-word story and then did a drabble. My process was to write a six-word story over the first topic I could come up with, and then try to build a drabble from my six-word story.



Morning Routine

Wake up, red dirt, rosy sky.



Morning Routine

In the morning I wake up a little after sunrise. The work I do is usually not time sensitive, but I try to get an early start. For breakfast I fry potatoes and scramble eggs. No matter how much my doctor warns me it is still hard to not oversalt my potatoes. I set my dishes in the basin and stretch just a bit, looking out the window the skyline is dominated by short buildings. The ground is full of red rocks, the sky is a beautiful rosy color, and within view are small patches of man-made blue.

The martian twilight sky at Gusev crater, as imaged by the panoramic camera on NASA's Mars Exploration Rover Spirit around 6:20 in the evening of the rover's 464th martian day (April 23, 2005).
Picture of Mars sunset taken by NASA rover, spirit, showing the rosy sky obtained at npr.org

4 comments:

  1. Hey Travis! This type of Micro fiction story telling is really interesting to see in full use. I was going back and forth between the six-word story and the full story finding those six words and it was so fun to do. It is exciting seeing the story come to life with more detail. I couldn't help but wonder what direction this story could go off into if it was a bit longer. Would it be scientific or fictitious? I feel like either route could be really interesting, depending on your taste in storytelling. From those two categories there is also a lot of other directions that you could go within that. Maybe next time, you could go into more detail about the storyteller. Is it told from you, Travis? Or an astronaut with years of training for this moment? I am interested to see your other stories, maybe even steaming from this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Travis!

    I have not read anyone's blog yet who has a story in this type of format but it was interesting to see you put the contrasting stories side by side. I really enjoyed reading both stories and comparing the two even though they were about the same thing technically. Your short story has a very vague, mysterious feel to it and it is almost like reading a poem. I really enjoyed this take I hope you do more like this in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Travis! Your microfictions were interesting to me. The first one made me think of Mars and the setting of scientific story where there could be life there. It made me think of the possibilities of human life elsewhere or alien life that we don't know about. It piqued my interest and made me think. I also liked your second one too! It made me think of a farmer or an astronaut, like other people said. It also reminded me of the movie Interstellar. I think these stories would be a good foundation for a good science fiction story since it was a good teaser. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Travis! I love the concept of a six word story, and I like that you took it and expanded it! I got a different picture in my head from the six word story than I did from the one you expanded but I loved them both. This formatting was really refreshing!

    ReplyDelete

Week 14 EC Microfiction

The Goblin Platoon Author Note: I decided that I wanted to write a story about goblins. I wanted to create a story where goblins are a ...